What is right with leaders today?
Leaders are the moral center of the group or organization they lead. What we hear most often about are the unethical leaders who don’t have a moral center or who prefer the low road.
Thankfully, there are people serving as leaders who are on the High Road.
How do you identify a High Road leader?
At the High Road Institute, we have isolated 15 traits that are common among leaders committed to the taking the High Road. Here they are in no particular order.
- They have a high moral code that is embedded in their personal DNA. They take the High Road because it is the right thing to do and not because someone tells them to.
- They set the bar high for others because people always rise to the level of their own expectations. The bar they set for themselves is even higher.
- They have a vision for something they want to accomplish, which benefits the greater good.
- They have the energy to turn their vision into reality.
- They have the charisma that naturally attracts people to their cause.
- They have their own high expectations to make a difference in the world. This is usually part of their vision.
- They show a sense of urgency to see the fruits of their hard work. They also realize that their actions impact the world long after they are gone.
- They find it difficult to accept “no” for an answer because they have great faith in their team’s abilities.
- They have the ability to see possibilities in every obstacle, and often get frustrated with people who only see obstacles.
- They recognize that they cannot achieve their vision alone and accept that other people’s contributions are vital to reaching the final destination.
- They have an inner drive to succeed, which can lead to problems when they focus on the goal instead of the journey.
- They have an attitude of caring.
- They have attitudes of gratitude and appreciation.
- They are courageous in their ability to quickly assess the risks, weigh the odds, and take chances.
- They are always accountable for their own results.
If you resonate with traits on this list, congratulations! You are proof that there are lots of good leaders in all walks of life. You do it to make a difference and influence the outcome and not because you want fame and glory.
We would love to hear your story so we can share it with others.